Capital Loss on sale of an investment property.


My wife sold an investment property in 2007-2008 tax year.
Incurring a capital loss of $17,000. Can this be claimed against her income tax this tax year ie 2008-2009


The capital loss must be included in her 2008-2009 income as a carried forward loss and continue to be included until it is offset against a capital gain but it cannot be used to offset other forms of income.

Have a question about tax you need answered?

Ask your own tax question here

In addition to the Ask Ban Tacs service, the BAN TACS Accountants group offer a selection of digital products to help you including Getting Your Affairs in Order, The Property Cashflow Calculator and The Capital Gains Tax Calculator.

Visit the BAN TACs Shop